“When is the best time for a roof inspection?,” is the most common question from property owners that we get at R2 Roof Guys Roofing company. A roof inspection helps homeowners identify the strengths, weakness and condition of the roof. Roof installation or replacement is something that adds value and structural integrity to the house. It also has the ability to enhance the appearance of the house in a big way.
Unfortunately, your roof is also a specific part of the house that is often forgotten and neglected. Typically, a roofing system lasts for almost 20 to 30 years but regular maintenance can increase its longevity. It is important for homeowners to understand the importance of investing in roof repairs and maintenance, rather than putting it off until a later time. The real question is how to go about these repairs and maintenance? Is it something the homeowner should do or is it going to require a professional roofing contractor?
Who Performs a Roof Inspection?
Simply put, a roof inspection is checking the condition of the roof and seeing if it requires any repairs or any further improvements. Roof inspections can also be done by the homeowner, but it’s hard work and some technical skills required, and most homeowners wouldn’t feel safe climbing or walking on top of their own roof. However, a professional roofer can help notice early signs of roof damage better than most homeowners. A professional roofer can immediately give an estimate of the cost if there is a repair or maintenance issue that needs attention. They can also estimate the remaining life of the roofing system already in place.
If a homeowner would like to perform the roof inspection, they should proceed with extreme caution. Inspections require walking on the roof to look for any signs of sagging, storm damage or aging. Also, keep an eye out for any moss or algae that may cause or identify a leak in the roof. Another common problem to look out for is any curled or buckled shingles caused by poor ventilation. While inspecting, it is a good idea to clean out the gutters and overhangs of the roof. It is important to inspect counter flashing, which is a metal, waterproof strip as additional moisture protection. An attic is also an important place to check for any signs of roof leaks.
It is important for a homeowner to understand that a damaged roof in need of roof repairs can be just as expensive as a roof installation if left unattended. Hence, regular or periodic roof inspections are the solution to all the questions. Typically professional roofers have a pre-planned schedule for inspections and repairs. Inspections are the best way to go because a roofer can easily identify a problem at an early stage and fix your roof issue with minimum work and less cost.
When Should I Get My Roof Inspected?
- A roof inspection is required to be done by law at the time of buying or selling a property. A roof inspection can give an accurate picture of the condition of the roof and any repairs it requires.
- Another recommended time for a roof inspection is at the beginning of spring and before winter. It is important to make sure that the roof is prepared and equipped for the extreme weather conditions ahead.
- Roof inspections are also advised after a storm or any drastic weather conditions to check and repair the roof wherever necessary.
- If you notice any frequent or even small leaks or wet roof signs, then it’s important to call your contractor for a roof inspection.
- Such inspections and repairs are helpful for homeowners to assess the true condition of the roof and save a lot of money by avoiding a premature roof replacement.
The team at R2 Roof Guys believe in open and honest communication throughout the entire customer experience. This starts with the first time you reach out to us and extends well beyond a free roof inspection. You won’t find our team knocking on your door after a storm. Instead, we believe in giving you the information you need to be prepared for a storm, and in the unfortunate case of damage to your roof, know that we will be there whenever you need us 24/7.